Data Scientist – mrp, Durban
We are looking for Data Scientists to join our MRP team. As a Data Scientist, your primary responsibility will be to turn our heaps of data into actionable insight and improved efficiency.
A typical day would involve the following responsibilities:
- Extract and analyse historical data and maximise derived value by applying advanced statistical models.
- Design tests to evaluate hypotheses.
- Communicate insights and analyses to stakeholders.
- Promote and facilitate data-driven business decisions.
- Develop algorithms and models to improve business objectives.
- Develop prototypes and write specifications for improving our Systems.
- Gain a deep knowledge of the MRP business.
- Ad hoc data extraction to support day-to-day operations.
- A degree in a quantitative field such as Statistics, Math, Computer Science, Physics or Engineering.
- An ability to pick up new tools and methods to solve your problems.
This is an ordered list of desirable skills. A good candidate will tick a few of these boxes, a great candidate will tick most and the successful candidate will acquire all of these skills during a career with the Mr Price Group
- Knowledge of SQL, Relational DBMS and data modelling.
- Experience with numerical packages like R, Python with SciPy, SPSS or SAS.
- Programming or Scripting experience.
- Advanced data analysis skills in Excel (e.g. data aggregation, visualisation and pivot tables).
- Knowledge of applied statistics or machine learning methods e.g. Neural Networks, Decision Trees, Time Series Analyses, Clustering
- Knowledge of Optimisation Techniques e.g. Linear Programming, Genetic Algorithms, Simulated Annealing.
- A sound business sense.
Who we are:
mrpApparel is the largest trading division of the Mr Price Group. The Mr Price Group is a cash based, omni-channel, fashion-value retailer
mrp people don’t just think outside the box. They throw the box out the door and set their creativity and problem-solving abilities free. Added to the mix is the natural ability to build relationships and a passion for the retail – and it’s not hard to see why we’re at the top of our game.
Passion, value and partnership. If you believe in these core values, we believe you’re a perfect match for the Mr Price Group.
mrp is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to Employment Equity.
How to apply
click here to apply